Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Teach for America - Metro Atlanta Corps 2012


Metro Atlanta Institute 2012. Wow. I can't even begin to fathom the incredible journey I've taken thus far, and I still have a week of institute left! It's incredible to think I have been teaching summer school for 3 weeks… legit, in front of a classroom! The experience has tested me, stressed me, and impressed me. I have met some incredible people that I will probably be close to for the rest of my life! I can't even imagine what Scott thinks I'm doing or what my family thinks for that matter but maybe this will help explain a bit more. It started with a week of instruction for us... 

5:40am my alarm clock goes off and surprisingly I didn't hit the snooze. It may have been my nerves but I was up and ready in no time. I catch the bus at GA Tech to ride to my school site for the first time - King Middle School, named for MLK Jr. Not knowing a single person yet when we arrive, I am freaking out in my head. We arrive and walk into a room filled with roughly 35 corp members and staff. That first day we shared our personal stories with complete strangers and began to investigate the strange world of teachers, and to my surprise I was excited, I was ready for the rest of the adventure to begin. That night I even had an hour long conversation with my aunt (also a teacher) trying to dig up as much advice as I could, to be the best that I could. That was the goal to be the best... things definitely change!

The achievement gap seems like such a common sense but there is sooo much under the surface that most people don't realize. Ignorance is bliss right? But that's not fair to children, especially those that don't even have the opportunity to do as much just because a single teacher would not invest in them. We heard story after story about students who could not read that were graduating high school (not sure how the teachers passed them!), the cheating scandal in APS, and even the fact that they predict the number of needed jails by 3rd grade reading level is outrageous. But it’s all true and it’s a shame that while our country is focused on passing pointless laws, fighting unnecessary wars, we have a huge movement on our hands to change the future of not only our children but our nation! The best nation in the world and we are struggling to educate our students in STEM... Really? (but that’s another rant) We also heard story after story of the local community wanting teachers who were excited, willing, and those that will make change. That's where TFA steps in, where I think my calling is to... 

TFA is pushing for transformational leaders, not only having students pass classes, but truly changing their future possibilities, AND having those students advocate for themselves and others. Setting HUGE Visions and even BIGGER goals! The thing that pushes us over the edge I believe is the passion, the fire we all have to fix the problem. My spark - Every child deserves to be encouraged and loved to be better. Every child has the right to be whatever they want, and I may be the only one to provide that opportunity in their lives. We saw some examples of students and teachers on that path - it only inspires me further! One Day is Today is the motto because Every Day Matters!! (I saw a shirt that said Carpe EVERY Diem and I want it!!)

So that being said, what have I done? How have I grown? What have I changed if anything? What will I do? So many questions and I think the best way to answer is just to tell you my story. 



No comments:

Post a Comment