Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Control Freak


The idea of Locus of Control  – If you can’t control it use creativity and flexibility, work around it! Find a solution! It’s our responsibility. And this idea totally makes sense. We are here to change the status quo. Of course there will be hurdles but our problem solving; our creativity is what will make the distinction of good and great teacher.

I wish I had heard this term previously because I think it is a great lesson to apply to any part of life. You definitely cannot control everything, but what you can control, you take care of and make it the best it can be.

 It is midsummer – July to be exact. I have not been placed. I received transitional funding and we are not even touching it to ensure I don’t have to pay it back if I don’t get placed. It is one of the most stressful times right now for Scott and I. This past month neither of us earned a pay check. I won’t be paid until mid-late August. He won’t until the end of July. We’ve got one month left of budgeting like crazy before funds start coming in, but the worst thing is that I have not been placed. The whole scene in Atlanta is incredible. It seems like all the districts are either in a hiring freeze or have turned away from TFA. It’s a really tough situation to be in, and the only response I am getting is we are working on it. The update this week – principals are on vacation for July 4 week. Lame but understandable. Here is where the locust of control comes in… I cannot control when I get hired but I stay invested. I continue learning all I can for my students and collecting everything I need for my class. Most importantly, I pray. I pray because I feel like God has brought me this far for a reason. God has placed me on this path to make a difference and I pray he will let me bring the biggest change I can by placing me this Fall.

I had many people negative and positive telling me about Teach for America. And I do understand both ways, essentially it is a gamble. I quit my paid job for a career that may not even pull through. But I think things happen for a reason, and Teach for America is just another stepping stone in my journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment